Ella is a beautiful town in Sri Lanka that is becoming increasingly popular with tourists. It’s located in the Badulla District, in the Central Province of Sri Lanka. The town is surrounded by mountains and tea plantations, making it a great place to visit if you love nature, hiking, and beautiful views. Here are ten of the best things to do in Ella:
- Hike to Ella Rock – This is one of the most popular things to do in Ella. It’s a 4-5 hour hike that takes you through tea plantations, forests, and rocky terrain. The trail starts near Ella train station and takes you up to the top of Ella Rock, where you can enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The hike can be steep and challenging in places, but it’s worth it for the stunning views from the top.
- Visit Little Adam’s Peak – If you’re short on time or if you prefer an easier hike, Little Adam’s Peak is a great option. It’s a shorter hike that takes about 30-45 minutes to reach the top. The peak offers beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and valleys, and it’s a popular spot for sunrise or sunset.
- Take a train ride – One of the best things to do in Ella is to take a train ride. The train from Ella to Kandy is particularly famous for its stunning landscapes and tea plantations. The train journey takes around six hours and passes through beautiful countryside, with plenty of opportunities to take in the scenery. You can enjoy the views from the comfort of your seat or hang out the door for an even better view.
- See Nine Arch Bridge – This is a beautiful bridge that spans a deep gorge. It’s especially magical when a train passes over it. The bridge was built during the British colonial period, and it’s now one of the most popular tourist attractions in Ella. You can watch the trains go by or take a stroll across the bridge for beautiful views of the surrounding countryside.
- Explore Ravana Falls – This is a beautiful waterfall that is located about 10 km from Ella town. The waterfall is about 25 meters high, and it’s a popular spot for swimming and picnics. The pool at the base of the waterfall is perfect for swimming, and there are plenty of rocks to sit on and enjoy the scenery.
- Visit Ella Spice Garden – If you’re interested in Sri Lankan food and spices, a visit to Ella Spice Garden is a must. The garden is located in the heart of Ella town, and it’s home to a variety of spices, including cinnamon, pepper, and cloves. You can take a tour of the garden and learn about the different spices and how they’re used in Sri Lankan cuisine. You can also enjoy a delicious meal of traditional Sri Lankan food, cooked with fresh ingredients from the garden.
- Take a tea plantation tour – Ella is famous for its tea plantations, and a tour is a great way to learn about the tea-making process and enjoy the beautiful scenery. You can visit tea factories and see how tea is harvested, processed, and packaged. You can also sample different types of tea and learn about the different flavors and aromas.
- Visit Ella Rock Cave – This is a secret spot on the hike to Ella Rock where you can take a break and enjoy the views. The cave is located about halfway up the trail, and it’s a great place to relax and take in the scenery before continuing on your hike. The cave is hidden behind some rocks, so you might need to ask a local for directions.
- Visit Ella Gap – Ella Gap is a beautiful natural wonder that offers breathtaking views of the surrounding hills and valleys. It’s a popular spot for hiking and picnics, and it’s also a great place to watch the sunrise or sunset. You can hike to the viewpoint or take a tuk-tuk ride.
- Visit Dhowa Rock Temple – Dhowa Rock Temple is a Buddhist temple that is located about 6 km from Ella town. The temple is situated in a cave and features a large Buddha statue, as well as several paintings and carvings on the walls. It’s a peaceful and spiritual place that’s worth a visit.
- Go on a waterfall hike – Ella and the surrounding areas are home to many beautiful waterfalls, and hiking to them is a great way to explore the countryside. Some of the waterfalls you can visit include Bambaragama Falls, Dunhinda Falls, and Rawana Ella Falls.
- Visit a local market – If you’re interested in local culture and food, a visit to a local market is a must. You can find fresh fruits, vegetables, and spices, as well as souvenirs and handicrafts. The Ella market is held every Wednesday and is a great place to experience the local culture and meet friendly locals.
- Visit the Demodara Loop – The Demodara Loop is a fascinating railway engineering marvel that is located near Ella. The railway track loops back under itself, creating a unique and interesting spectacle. You can watch the trains go by and marvel at the engineering feat.
- Go birdwatching – Ella and the surrounding areas are home to many species of birds, including several endemic species. You can go on a birdwatching tour with a local guide and see species such as Sri Lankan Junglefowl, Yellow-eared Bulbul, and Sri Lankan Spurfowl.
In conclusion, Ella is a beautiful town in Sri Lanka that offers a wide range of activities and experiences for visitors. From hiking to waterfalls to exploring tea plantations and local markets, there’s something for everyone in Ella. Whether you’re looking for adventure, relaxation, or cultural experiences, you’re sure to find it in this charming town. So pack your bags and head to Ella for a truly unforgettable experience.