Dambulla is a situated in the north of Matale District. furthermore it is in Central Province of Sri Lanka. It is 148 km from Dambulla to colombo. Dambulla is the center of vegetable distribution in the country. Then is there any special reason to tour Dambulla? Yes it is call Dambulla cave temple. additionally Golden Temple of Dambulla is another name for Dambulla cave temple. Also know as Dambulla Rock Temple. Locally calls it “Rangiri Dambulla Cave Temple”. Even more Sinhalese called it “Dambulu Gala”. Mainly you can see five caves in you dambulla tour. Three of them are Devarajalena, Maharajalena and the Maha Alut Viharaya built by King Vattagamini Abhaya. Other two is, The paścima(Paccima =post) Viharaya and The Devana Alut Viharaya.
Frequently asked questions within you Dambulla Tour
Are there any other names for Dambulla cave temple?
Mainly it has five names as below.
1. Golden Temple of Dambulla
2. Dambulla cave temple
3. Dambulla Rock Temple
4. Rangiri Dambulla Cave Temple
5. Dambulu Gala
What to see in Dambulla sri lanka?
Mainly Dambulla cave temple. And also following things can see on your Dumbulla tour.
1. Dambulla Cave Temple
2. Sigiriya Rock
3. Minneriya National Park
4. Buddhist Museum
5. Pidurangala Rock
6. Popham’s Arboretum
7. Traditional Foods Sales Centre
8. Dambulla Dedicated Economic Centre
9. Kalu Diya Pokuna
How to get to Dambulla cave temple?
It is approximately 160Km.
Is Dambulla worth visiting?
Is it better to stay in Dambulla or Sigiriya?
Both places are better.
Where to stay in Dambulla to visit Golden Temple of Dambulla?
There are lot of places to stay. You can see the list of hotel in here. Most of them are near to the cave temple and have great services and staff.
How far Anuradhapura to Dambulla?
It is approximately 65Km.
How far from Dambulla to Polonnaruwa?
It is approximately 80Km.
How far is the trip from Dambulla to Sigiriya?
It is approximately 20Km.
How long does it take to climb Dambulla caves temple?
It only takes 1 hour.
How long to spend at Dambulla caves?
More than 3 hours.
Where is the ticket counter Golden Temple of Dambulla?
The ticket office at the beginning of the stairs. Of course buy your ticket as the first task. You cannot buy your ticket at the top/entrance to the caves.
How much does it cost for ticket in Dambulla cave temple ?
LKR 1500/- The ticket office at the beginning of the stairs. Remember buy ticket as your first task
What can do in Dambulla cave temple?
1. Cave temple rcok climb
2. You can worship peacefully
4. Additionally can learn the historical and archaeological significance
What is the dress code for Dambulla cave temple?
No shots . Make sure you hide your knees or else you will be given a sarong
How many caves are there in Dambulla cave temple ?
What are the thing that you need to make your high attention?
The monkeys are all around please protect your food.
At what time Dambulla cave temple open for tours?
Temple opens at 7:00AM
How many step you need to climb to see top of the cave temple?
It is about is about 350 steps.
How old is the Dambulla Cave Temple?
Temple is around 2000 years old,
What is the best time to visit Dambulla Cave Temple?
There isn’t any specific season for tour Dambulla . You can visit any time to Dambulla .
History of Dambulla cave temple
King Vattagamini Abhaya is the first person started this temple. Also known as King Valagamba. He escaped from Anuradhapura Kingdom due to South Indian invasion. Then King Valagamba was in hiding and used frequented these caves for his safety. After 12 years, defeating South Indian invasion he became again king of Sri Lanka. He has been showed his gratefulness by converting caves into buddhist temple. Identically Dambulla cave temple is the one of the important places that he built.
After King Vattagamini Abaya, There was not any supported from other kings until king Vijayabahu(1055-1110 AD) for this temple. likewise King Keerthi Sri Nissankamalla (1187-1196 AD)has given his support to build many other Buddha images and paint those 73 buddha images from gold color. That is the reason for naming it as Golden Temple of Dambulla.
Importance of visiting Dambulla cave temple
Largest Rock Cave Temple in Sri Lanka. 600 feet high Rock has used to build a Dambulla Rock Temple. It is in 1118 feet from the sea level. Approximately it is 2000 feet in length. It has Buddha Images and Rock Paintings. Dambulla cave temple constructed and painted from around 2nd Century BC. As mentioned in previous, Mainly there are three caves.
- Cave #1 – The Devarajalena Vihara – This is the first Cave in the temple. It is also called as “the Lord of the Gods Temple”. There is a large Sleeping posture Buddha statue. it is 45 feet length. It is called the Parinirvana status or the final passing away of the Lord Buddha. There is another statue called Venerable Ananda.
- Cave #2 – The Maharaja Lena – Second Cave in the temple called “The Maharaja Lena” also known as The Cave of ‘ Great Kings ‘. In this cave you can find King Valagamba and King Nissankamalla statues. This cave is 125 ft long and 75 feet width and has a maximum height of 21 feet by the entrance to the cave.
- Cave #3 – The Maha Alut Viharaya – Third Cave you can see in this temple. Another name is The Cave of ‘ Great New Temple’. This is involved to Kandyan era. and also built by the King Kirti Sri Rajasinha. This cave is about 90 feet in length, 80 feet in width and is about 36 feet high near the entrance wall.
- Cave #4 – The Paścima (Paccima =post) Viharaya – The Cave of ‘ Western Temple’ can use to introduce this cave. This cave is about 50 feet in length and 27 feet in width. and situated in western side. you can see seated Buddha image.A small dageba is there. There are ten Buddha statue in same size.
- Cave #5 – The Devana Alut Viharaya– This is newly built one and it also called The Cave of ‘ Second New Temple’. You can see many standing and seated Buddha images. This is the smallest cave on there.
Dambulla cave temple is Historic ancient temple. furthermore Great ancient rock temple and likewise all the caves are fully painted. The big Buddha statue has built in recently. Also it is situated in the entrance. So All of you are welcome to Sri Lanka, equally make sure to do a tour to Damublla.